In the nerby of the university and along the Liston (pedestrian) center, it can be seen the famous Caffè Pedrocchi, one of the most famous local historians of Italy designed by the Venetian Giuseppe Jappelli. Today it is still one of the most crowded places during Saturday afternoon; here on 8 February 1948 it has been born the spark of the student uprising against the Austrians. It suggests the view of the red room or to the upper rooms, which contain different styles of architecture and which hosts regular concerts (especially jazz), literary meetings, poetry readings, exhibitions, happy hour, thematic events etc.
Timetable visit Galleria Pedrocchi: 9: 00/13: 30-15: 00/19: 00
Ombelico del Prato della Valle è l’affascinante, ma incompiuta nella facciata, Basilica di Santa Giustina, il più importante gioiello architettonico di Padova del ‘500. Essa è la chiesa più grande della città e conserva le spoglie dell’evangelista San Luca; interessante è il coro vecchio e la pala del Veronese.
Fuori dalla Basilica si apre la grande piazza Prato della Valle che risale al 1775, quando il procuratore veneziano Andrea Memmo decise di creare un nuovo centro commerciale cittadino adatto per fiere e manifestazioni. Il procuratore fece bonificare la zona paludosa e nella parte centrale fu costruita un’isoletta, l'”Isola Memmia”. L’isola ovoidale è circondata da una doppia fila di statue, ben 78, dei notabili padovani e altri personaggi illustri dell’epoca, in pomposa, ma anche autoironica posa . E’ attorniata, inoltre, dal canale Alicorno e al suo centro vi è una zona riservata ad un prato con alberi e una fontana che, grazie ai suoi giochi di luci, crea magiche atmosfere colorate.
Durante l’epoca romana sorgeva un grande teatro romano e un circo per le corse dei cavalli ; nel medioevo, invece, si svolgevano: fiere, giostre e feste pubbliche. Ancor oggi è luogo d’incontro per i padovani, luogo di svaghi e giochi, luogo di mercato ( il sabato pomeriggio ), e anche di parcheggi…
Orari visita: feriali 8:00/12:00-15:00/17:30 festivi 8:00/12:00-15:00/19:30
Per informazioni 049 8220411 Navel of the Prato della Valle is the fascinating, with its unfinished facade, Basilica of Santa Giustina, the most important for its architectural , gem of Padua of the ‘500. It is the largest church in the city and houses the remains of the evangelist St. Luke; interestingly to visit, the old choir and shovel by Veronese.
Opening visit : weekdays 8: 00/12: 00-15: 00/17: 30 Holidays 8: 00/12: 00-15: 00/19: 30
For information: 049 8220411
Outside the basilica is the large square Prato della Valle which dates back to 1775, when the prosecutor Venetian Andrea Memmo decided to create a new urban shopping center suitable for exhibitions and events. The prosecutor did drain the swampy area and in the central island he built, the ” Island Memmia “. The egg-shaped island is surrounded by a double row of statues, well 78, the notables of Padua and other celebrities of the time, pompous, but also with self-ironic pose. It is surrounded also by Alicorno channel and at its center there is an area reserved for a lawn with trees and a fountain, which with its play of light, creates a magical atmosphere colored.
In Roman times there was a large Roman theater and a circus for horse racing; in the Middle Ages, however, they were held fairs, rides and public festivals. Even today it is a meeting place for the Paduan, place of entertainment and games, market place (on Saturday afternoon), and even parking lots …
A few steps from the square it is preserved a “scientific treasure” of international interest: the Botanical Gardens, the oldest garden in the world and UNESCO world heritage site.
Founded in 1545 for the study of “simple”, ie of medicinal plants, has maintained its original site with well 6000 plants. There were planted the first specimens of: potato, lilac, sunflower, jasmine, cyclamen, which still have a place of honor as the “Goethe’s Palm” in 1585.
Palma that inspired the poet (hence the name Palma Goethe) and that after studying it expressed his insights in evolutionary wise “Metamorphosis of Plants”.
Recently opened the “Garden of Biodiversity”, with about 1,300 species living in homogeneous environments for temperature and humidity and are simulated the climate conditions of the biomes on the planet: from the tropics to the sub-humid zones, from temperate to arid areas. A trip through the vegetation of the earth, along which the visitor has the immedita representation of the “wealth” or the “poverty” of biodiversity, present in each climate.
Opening hours: 9: 00/13: 00 in summer also 15: 00/18: 00
For information: 049 82772119
Orto Botanic is just a few minutes from Piazza del Santo, where it is placed the equestrian statue of Gattamelata, bronze work by Donatello in 1447 and dedicated to the famous leader Erasmo da Narni rendered in war. In depth the Basilica del Santo Antonio, the most important religious center of the city, which attracts thousands of pilgrims every year, especially on 13 June, the feast of the patron.
The Paduan call him “The Saint” without adding the name, this is to understand the affection and the importance that “Padua” has for this center and for its Saint.
It houses the relics of St. Anthony and many works: the bronzes of Donatello’s altar, the chapel of Belludi, frescoes Menabuoi, Tiepolo and Titian (School of Saint on right of the Basilica – 9:30 schedules visit / 1: 30 to 14: 30/17: 00 in the summer till 19:00).
The styles of the basilica are different, it is said that it is a breeding ground for evolving: from Romanesque facade, the Gothic ambulatory, the Byzantine domes, the Baroque chapel of the Relics. Also visit its cloisters, the most acclaimed Magnolia Courtyard, so named for the superb magnolia grandiflora of 1433 and the General Cloister where you climb to the prestigious Library Antoniana and where overlook (hence the name) the rooms of the General Order (religious authorities).
Continuing along Via Cesarotti direction Via San Francesco, one meets in the arcades in one of the main examples of Renaissance Padua: the Loggia and Odeo Cornaro of ‘500. The inspiration was that of the Roman villa on the edge of town and the lodge is a “scaenae scenae”, ie a depth suitable for a fixed frame of different shows. A real ancient theater built by Alvise Cornaro (scholar of hydraulic, agricultural entrepreneur and patron of the artists) and then theorized by Palladio.
Opening hours: Tuesday to Friday 10:00 to 13:00 Saturday and Sunday 15:00 to 6:00 p.m. from November 1 to January 31 / 16:00 to 19:00 from February 1 to October 31 closing: all Mondays, Christmas, St. Stephen, New Year, May 1
For information: 335 1428861
Walking in one of the oldest streets of Padua, Via San Francesco, you can meet old shops, historic houses with beautiful terraces in bloom and churches (Church of Saint Francis School of Charity). Recently opened in this way “Musme”, the Museum of Medicine, located in the monumental complex of the ancient Hospital of St. Francis of the second half of 1414. The hospital was built to meet the needs of the health and welfare urban population, active until 1798, when it was replaced by a new hospital place outside the door of Pontecorvo in the former headquarters of the Jesuit monastery of Padua, the exiting Hospital Justinian.
The museum today is a good opportunity to visit a place that combines an ancient history with modern technology. An interactive exhibition that takes the visitor, also involving his 5 senses, through the history of medicine and the mysteries of the body. Hence the slogan: “Forbidden to not Touch” !! It contains more than 300 exhibits from the Departments and by the Hospital of the University of Padua, with the innovative anatomical theater: a human model of more than 8 meters of where you make real lessons of anatomy. There are two rooms dedicated to the history of the building and to the years of the Scientific Revolution, and four rooms devoted to the answers that medicine has given to these questions on the human body. You will meet famous people like:
De Cetto, From Monte, Galileo, Da Ponte, Vesalius, Morgagni, Alpine ..
Opening hours: daily 14: 30/19: 00 Saturday and Sunday 9: 30/19: 00 Closed on Mondays
For information: 049 658767